A coroner has found that the death of a young carpenter who was electrocuted in 2013 could have been prevented if different circuit breakers had been used.
The 25 year old Matthew Trent Ross was working for his friend’s roofing company when the incident occurred in July 2013 while working on a renovation and refurbishment project in Victoria Point.
He was electrocuted when he touched a metal scaffolding pole while his legs were on guttering at the time.
The Deputy State Coroner, John Lock said the mandatory fitting of residual current devices be proposed to key stakeholders before potentially being presented to the state government. He stated that circuit breakers were designed to protect equipment from large voltages, while residual current devices check currents going in and out. It would have detected the leak from the damaged light fitting and could have saved Matthew Trent Ross.