A glass company has been fined $1million over an incident where a contractor caught fire after touching a 33,000 volt power line. The man sustained burns to 30 per cent of his body as a result.
The company was slapped with the fine in the NSW District Court a few weeks ago, the heftiest fine imposed in the state under the Work Health and Safety Act for an incident that happened in June 2014.
The accident occurred during the construction of a residential apartment block which had high voltage train lines within a few metres.
A safety inspector had visited the site a few months before the accident and informed the company in charge of the risk of the power lines and that workers were to be no closer than 4metres from the power lines.
Management ignored the inspectors warnings and did not inform the worker of the risk before instructing him to do work in close proximity to the lines.
The contractor did not take any steps to protect workers from the risk, despite being warned about it.