Image source: Pixabay

Work on the $200million renovations to the Sydney Opera House had to stop recently when workers downed their tools because of the discovery of friable asbestos fibres.

Electrical workers refused to work installing cable throughout the building, until it was confirmed that it was safe to do so.

Samples collected on site found that friable asbestos was present, this type of asbestos is dangerous because it is easily crumbled into powder and inhaled or ingested. Prolonged exposure can cause such diseases as mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis. Australia has the leading number of reported Mesothelioma cases in the world.

 

Read more at http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/nsw/2017/10/07/opera-house-construction-halted-over-asbestos.html

Recommended Posts