A safety reminder has been issued by EnergySafety highlighting the hazards of working in roof spaces and how to avoid them.
Ken Bowron, Director of Energy Safety said basic safeguards need to be in place when accessing the home’s roof space.
He also reminded people to turn off the electricity main switchboard before entering the roof space. People were also warned to be aware of any damaging insulation or exposed live parts that may present a risk of electric shock and possible electrocution.
When entering the roof space, the use of battery-powered LED lamps are a good idea and will provide the lighting you need to move around safety up there.
EnergySafety reminded people that DIY electrical work is illegal, a licensed electrical contractor must be called in to carry out new wiring work or alterations and maintenance on existing electrical installations. Read more at http://content.safetyculture.com.au/news/index.php/12/energysafety-warns-dangers-roof-spaces/#.Wk7s7zclE1k