The NT is one of the areas in Australia experiencing extremely hot temperatures prompting WorkSafe to issue a safety warning to businesses and workers to take precautions to avoid heat illnesses which can be deadly.
Heat related illness can present itself as heat rash, heat cramps, dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
NT WorkSafe warned employers and workers to follow safety tips to help avoid heat related illness including,
- drinking plenty of water,
- using shade protection including a hat and suncreen,
- ensure personal protective equipment (PPE) is efficient for the work being done and the amount of sun exposure,
- Try to schedule work for cooler times of the day and avoid the hotter hours
- Equally distribute the work load amongst workers
For more information visit NT WorkSafe website