A Queensland stonecutter has died from silicosis, sparking concerns of an epidemic of deaths in the industry.
More cases have began to emerge of silicosis diagnosis in Queensland and around Australia, with Gold Coast stonecutter Anthony White being the latest victim.He had become the face of the vicious disease after being diagnosed due to inhalation of crystalline silica dust.
It is believed he was the first tradesman to die of the disease in Australia.
Mr White’s brother who worked alongside him, was also diagnosed with silicosis, just days before his brother died of the disease.
Safe Work Australia is focusing on addressing the risks posed by dust exposure in the workplace, including in the engineered stone industry.