Although electrical safety on a construction site is a complex issue that cannot be covered in just one post, here are some basic tips to achieve electrical safety for construction workers,
- Read instructions, labels, installation manuals etc. before installing, operating or servicing equipment.
- Ensure switchboards are correctly designed, mounted securely and are constructed from materials able to withstand mechanical damage
- Equipment should be tested and tagged by a qualified person
- Faulty equipment must be removed and tagged
- Keep an eye out for overheating in machines
- Use tools with insulated hand grips
- Earth all equipment properly
- Examine power cords and leads before use
- Ensure power is turned off before removing a plug from the power point
Read about the Queensland government’s warning following a Construction site electrocution inquiry here.