China Sentences 31 People for Deadly Construction Accident

A building site collapse in China last November that left 73 people dead has led to 31 people being arrested and punished.
The incident happened when a work platform collapsed at the Fengcheng power plant in eastern China’s Jiangxi Province.
According to reports by Chinese news agencies, coercive measures are a form of detention that can range from constant surveillance to outright arrest.

Losses were calculated at $15.6 million.

Investigations revealed that the accident was caused by a range of issues such as poor supervision and the company’s failure to meet safety responsibilities.

The people being punished by the government have not yet been named.

Another incident happened on Saturday, 16 September when a railway tunnel in China’s southwest collapsed.

Nine construction workers were rescued from the rubble.

It was reported that 200 workers were involved in the rescue, digging tunnels to reach the affected workers.

 

Read more: http://www.globalconstructionreview.com/news/china-punishes-31-deadly-construction-accident/

Construction Worker Fatally Injured on North Connex Site

A worker was recently killed on the NorthConnex project, after an accident in which he was struck in the head by a piece of equipment.

The 65 year old worker was working on the Wilson Road compound when the incident occurred.

It is believed that the man was trapped for a while and went into cardiac arrest once he was freed.

The worker was rushed to the Westmead Hospital where he later died.

SafeWork NSW and NSW Police are investigating the incident and Transport Minister Andrew Constance said he would support them in their investigations. He also expressed his sadness at the tragedy and conveyed his condolences to the family.

Find out more http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/construction-worker-killed-on-northconnex-site/news-story/82a8d7aa325720517c623e3a1afa927d

Construction Worker Killed on The Job

Another construction death has occurred, this time at a hospital construction site in Adelaide.

The worker had been using a jackhammer at the work site before he died on Wednesday afternoon, prompting questions about whether he should have been working with a jackhammer.

The 55 year old man was working at the Flinders Medical Centre when the incident occurred at the car park site.

Aaron Cartledge of the SA CFMEU said workers who had witnessed the death were very troubled, especially those who had witnessed workers die at the new Royal Adelaide Hospital.

The union has called for a full investigation into the incident, with Cartledge saying they were not willing to just accept the death as natural.

Read more at http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/workers-reeling-from-sa-construction-death/news-story/f8a093786d78763a800c4e19ead34eae