Lost your White Card? Click here to get a replacement. It's quick and easy!

Date PostedDecember 2, 2011

Are you a high risk worker? You may need different certificates

Whilst the ordinary White Card may cover you for most construction site jobs, if you are a higher risk worker, you may need more certification. In 2007 the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work was introduced. Basically, the government decided they didn’t want any average Joe operating a crane or heavy machinery.

Are you one of the following? If so you may need to attain certain certificates to complete you’re chosen profession on a construction site, as well as taking “precaution that is reasonable, in the circumstances, to protect health, safety and welfare in the workplace.”

Crane and hoist operator

Forklift operation

Scaffolding work

Rigging work

Dogging Work

Pressure equipment operation


Plumbing/Gas Fitting

Road Works

Producing, storing and transporting prescribed waste

So you could jump into an excavator and drive off with it, but not only would that be stealing, it would be high risk work that you are not qualified to perform.

So if you’re a qualified high risk worker, you have a higher responsibility, and while you may need your oh&s construction induction card (White Card) that applies to every state, you may also need certain qualifications for your high risk work.


Steven Asnicar is regarded as a leader across many fields of industry. In particular, his specialisation across the health, infrastructure, construction, resource and utility sectors has seen him successfully change the dynamics of these industries through the introduction of new strategic, marketing, training and technical frameworks. Steven works closely with industry peak bodies such as Safework Australia, Australian Logistics Council, National Advisory for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment (NATESE) and the Council of Australian Governments in the development of new delivery standards and industry specific programs.

Posted in White Card Tagged with: , , ,

Urban E-Learning is not registered with CRICOS, therefore cannot offer training to student visa holders; please click here to see the UEL Student Handbook for further information.