Construction workers are not the only ones at risk of contracting an asbestos related disease. According to WorkCover NSW people undertaking DIY tasks at home and being exposed to asbestos because of old building materials that may have been used in the construction of their homes. Asbestos may have been left dormant in a home or dwelling but may be disturbed by renovations or DIY work.

Asbestos is formed in fibre bundles and as it is further processed or disturbed the fibre bundles become progressively finer and more hazardous to health. The small fibres are the most dangerous and this is why the fibres released during renovations or revamps of buildings are extremely hazardous. They are invisible to the naked eye but when inhaled penetrate the deepest part of the lungs causing significant, permanent damage.

This video by WorkCover NSW on Youtube highlights the danger of exposing your family to these deadly fibres during renovation work.

In order to avoid significant health risks, its best to identify the presence of asbestos beforehand and develop a plan of how you are going to deal with it. Home improvers should call in a professional to remove the asbestos and not attempt to do so alone.


Recommended Posts