A Melbourne electrical firm was recently convicted and fined $300,000 over an incident involving an apprentice in 2016.

The third year apprentice died from electrocution while laying cables at a property in Camberwell.

The company pleaded guilty to 2 charges for failing to ensure as far as reasonably practicable that the workplace was safe and without risk to health and for failing to supervise the worker.

The company was ordered to pay $6067 in costs.

The court heard that the 26 year old apprentice was sent to the property alone to install cables. He was working on the roof when his hand made contact with an exposed live wire and he was electrocuted.

An important lesson for employers here is that apprentice workers should be properly supervised at all times and particularly when engaging in high risk work such as work from heights.

In the construction industry it’s also crucial that workers are in possession of a White Card to prove they have completed general construction induction  training and have an idea of how to work safely on a construction site.

See more at: http://www.worksafenews.com.au/news/item/704-company-fined-$300,000-after-apprentice-electrocuted.html

Recommended Posts