An incident which happened last week has made headlines on most news sites because it was a freak accident which almost claimed the life of a worker in a site in Sydney.

A worker engaged in work on a construction site in Sydney was injured when a slab of concrete panels that was being lifted by crane to a second storey of the construction project fell. It appears that chains restraining the load gave in or were not properly fastened causing the load to fall 12 meters and hit the roof of a truck.

The victim was a 48 year old man who was standing on the truck when it was hit by the concrete slab, causing him to be stuck in the cab of the truck for almost an hour.

Although NSW Ambulance stabilised the man while he was in the truck, he was later taken to Royal Prince Alfred hospital in a stable condition with back and hip pain.

This excerpt from an article on explains what happened:

In a separate incident in Ultimo, a concrete slab fell 12 metres onto a 48-year-old man after it came out of its chains at the Haymarket work site about 11.30am.

The man was guiding crane operators when the crane reportedly swung into a metal loading platform which dislodged the concrete. He was stuck for almost an hour before being taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital with back and hip injuries.

A hospital spokeswoman declined to give an update on the man’s condition.


The worker was lucky that the concrete was made from Hebel – a form of aerated concrete which weighs only about one quarter of the weight of regular concrete.

In another incident a 53 year old man wasn’t as lucky when a 2 tonne concrete block fell off a forklift as it was being moved. The man was trapped underneath the heavy slab for about 20 minutes but sadly succumbed to his injuries a short time after.

A post on explains what happened:

A 53-YEAR-OLD man died after a two-tonne concrete block fell off a moving forklift and crushed him at a worksite on the south coast.

Emergency services were called to Foreshore Rd in Port Kembla about 10.15am after the man became trapped under the concrete block.

He was trapped for nearly 20 minutes until police and ambulance officers freed him, a police spokeswoman said.

The man was taken to Wollongong Hospital in a critical condition. He died in hospital shortly after his arrival.


Police detectives and WorkCover representatives are looking into the cause of both the incidents. The fact that both these incidents occurred within the same week highlights the importance of safety when lifting loads on construction sites because as these cases highlight the consequences for mistakes can be fatal. Improperly secured loads are a major problem which should never even be occurring, especially when the risks of injuries are so great.


Recommended Posts