These Careers Must Undergo CPR Training

Source: Pixabay.com

A recent post highlighted the value of CPR training and that it can boost your ’employable skills’.

CPR training can make a person more attractive to employers, which is valuable in are world where qualified candidates for every job abound.

In fact there are some jobs and careers where CPR training (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation training) also known as first aid training is required including,

  • Construction workers
  • Electricians

Construction workers are exposed to a high risk environment and one mistake can lead to serious injury, illness or death which is why first aid training for construction workers is important – it can save lives. Workers on site may need prompt first aid treatment to save a life.

Similarly, electricians are exposed to a high risk environment where risks include electric shock, fire, explosions, falls etc. In order to assist a co-worker in an emergency, first aid training is invaluable.

Read more https://bestinau.com.au/careers-that-require-cpr-or-first-aid-training/

Electrical Contractor Jailed following Workplace Fatality

An electrical contractor has been convicted and sentenced to 7 years’ jail time over an incident that involved the electrocution of a worker in February 2012.

The workplace incident resulted in the death of the 20 year old worker, when the electrician failed to turn off the power to a sub-board which he was helping to install.

The electrical contractor received a 7 year jail sentence for manslaughter and perjury. He will be eligible for parole after 2 years.

The prosecutor argued that the incident was both “tragic and preventable”, had the contractor installed safety switches, this incident could have been prevented. Find out more http://content.safetyculture.com.au/news/index.php/03/electrical-contractor-jailed-7-years-death-young-tradesman/#.WsFbyZclE1k

Electrician Fears Hundreds Unexpectedly Exposed to Asbestos

According to an article on CanberraTimes.com.au hundreds of tradespeople in Canberra could have unexpectedly been breathing in hazardous asbestos fibres while working on houses in the 1970s. The fears have been brought to light by a former electrician who himself worked in Canberra houses during the seventies when he says that he and others may have been exposed to “Mr Fluffy” asbestos without being aware of it.

Also according to the ACT CFMEU, asbestos (including the ”fairy floss” amosite insulation) was a daily concern for workers in the ACT going into houses and commercial buildings. So much so that the CFMEU’s secretary Dean Hall has called for an urgent audit to be undertaken on all commercial premises built before 2003 in order to confirm that mandatory asbestos management has been conducted.

This excerpt from the post on CanberraTimes.com.au explains,

7The Canberra Times revealed on Thursday that while the ACT government was spending $2 million deconstructing a home in Downer, there had been no investigation into the commercial buildings that could still contain the dangerous substance. Non-residential buildings were not surveyed along with houses built before 1980 under the loose-fill asbestos removal program carried out by the Commonwealth then ACT governments.

Mr Hall said while experienced builders and tradespeople knew about the general risk of asbestos, the union was finding that younger workers, commonly apprentices, were not aware of the dangers.

But he said the risk was potentially in every building.

”On a daily basis we have reports of people who have inadvertently exposed asbestos,” he said.

There was no knowledge of which homes contained Mr Fluffy asbestos and many commercial premises did not have an up-to-date asbestos management plan in place or even have one at all. Mr Hall called for an audit to be completed on all commercial buildings built before 2003 – the year asbestos was banned in Australia – to make sure all properties had been tested for asbestos.

Read more at: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/tradies-unaware-for-years-of-asbestos-danger-20130725-2qnoo.html

It is frightening to think that there are people walking around who aren’t even aware that they have been affected by asbestos, what is even more concerning is the number of people who weren’t aware of the exposure they suffered and died as a result of undiagnosed and therefore untreated medical conditions relating to asbestos exposure.

According to building industry veterans, crawling into roof spaces during the seventies was a common practice, with no thought given to the fact that asbestos was present and deadly. It was apparently also common to walk through loose infill insulation in many homes. Workers also commonly removed roof tiles to allow light into the work area, leaving themselves exposed to millions of visible asbestos fibres, sadly at this time the risks were not known.

The post goes on to explain:

It was not until the early 1980s that the use of amosite asbestos was banned in Australia and it would be a further eight years before the Commonwealth’s survey was carried out in the ACT.

”You knew you were breathing it in,” Mr Carruthers said. ”You could pick handfuls of it up and it would float away … any movement at all, you just had to walk through it.”

Mr Carruthers said he had recently undergone a medical check-up and had mentioned his asbestos concerns to his doctor and would soon undergo an X-ray.

Read more at: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/tradies-unaware-for-years-of-asbestos-danger-20130725-2qnoo.html

 

 

White Card News: Electrician’s Fall results in $147,000 fine

Ask any worker on a construction site what the most common cause of serious injury is and most will agree falls from heights are major concern.

Recently another incident took place when a worker fell 3.4metres to the ground while engaging in work on a residential building site in Western Sydney. Falls from even relatively low heights can be dangerous so falls from this height are particularly concerning.

The two companies involved as well as a company director have been fined $147,000 and ordered to pay WorkCover’s legal costs by the courts.

The company involved, MRD Future Homes (Aust) Pty Ltd (MRD) a small construction company was contracted to build three two-storey townhouses under the same roof span in Canley Heights.MRD then subcontracted J & M Costa Enterprises Pty Ltd (J & M Costa to complete electrical work at the site. Both the companies subsequently received fines for the accident during which a 22 year old electrician working inside a townhouse fell through an opening on the first floor.

The worker fell over 3 metres onto a concrete floor below causing serious head injuries as well as multiple brain haemorrhages, a fractured collarbone and multiple spinal fractures.

WorkCover explained its’ investigation into the incident on its’ website WorkCover.nsw.gov.au:

A WorkCover investigation began and MRD, MRD’s director, and J & M Costa were each charged with a breach of the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2000. 

The investigation found that at the townhouse the open stairwell opening was without any fall protection.

• MRD pleaded guilty, was fined $70,000, and ordered to pay WorkCover legal costs.

• MRD’s director pleaded guilty, was fined $7000 , and ordered to pay WorkCover’s legal costs

• J & M Costa pleaded guilty, was fined $70,000, and ordered to pay WorkCover legal costs.

WorkCover NSW’s acting General Manager of Work Health and Safety Division Peter Dunphy said given the circumstances, any fall through the stairwell opening was likely to be very serious, and the risk should have been better managed.

Source: http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/newsroom/Pages/$147,000infinedafterseriousfallinjureselectrician.aspx

Regulation requires an approved safety system to be implemented, including guardrails, scaffolding and fall protection. If these measures do not sufficiently reduce the risk workers should be equipped with proper safety harnesses.

According to WorkCover NSW there was a clear safety breach by the companies involved here because if there were adequate safety measures in place this accident would most likely not have occurred because falls would have been guarded against. Falls from openings would have also been anticipated and the appropriate control measures would have been implemented to avoid serious injuries such as those suffered by the young workers. In this situation there was no fall protection, no handrail in place, no void platform or any physical barrier to avoid a worker falling through the hole.

This incident highlights the need for fall protection to be implemented but it also highlights how important it is that the proper safety protocols are maintained.