Construction Industry Get Ready for Year Long Safety Blitz

A year long safety blitz for the construction industry in NSW has begun and construction businesses who put their workers at risk are the target.

According to SafeWork NSW, the number of falls from heights over the past five years has increased drastically and most are occurring on construction sites.

Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean said falls are “the number one killer on NSW construction sites.

Already this year 8 people were killed in workplace falls and a lot more were severely injured.

He alerted employers that cutting corners and putting workers at risk would not be tolerated. In fact he warned employers in the state to prioritise the proper safety measures .

He also reminded them that fall incidents tend to increase toward the end of the year as workers rush to get work done on time.

He also highlighted that SafeWork inspectors would be taking advantage of the tough new laws that came into effect last month.

Read more http://content.safetyculture.com.au/news/index.php/11/safety-blitz-reduce-construction-deaths-launched/#.Wi6OgDe1vIU

Statistics Show 20 Vic Worker Injured due to Falls Every Week

Another incident has occurred forcing us to consider whether we are doing enough to guard against injuries and fatalities due to falls on the work site.

A 53 year old worker recently died after he fell from a ladder, on the mezzanine floor to the ground floor at a Melbourne site.

The worker fell 4.3 metres at the building in Maidstone.

The incident has prompted WorkSafe Victoria to issue a warning regarding work from height safety.

The authority says 20 people are injured every week in Victoria due to falls in the workplace.

Employers must remember that whenever there is a risk of a construction worker falling more than 2 metres, employers need a plan to manage the risk.

But that doesn’t mean falls from lower heights can’t also be serious. Even possible falls from relatively low heights need to be addressed.

Marnie Williams,WorkSafe health and safety director said just because a fall hasn’t occurred doesn’t mean the site is safe, you could just be lucky. We cannot leave safety to luck.

Find out more https://sourceable.net/twenty-vic-workers-injured-weekly-in-falls/

Weekend Workplace Incidents

Two men were killed in workplace incidents over one weekend and another suffered critical head injuries.

Three separate incidents on one weekend highlighted the need to pay more attention to safety.

One man died on Saturday when a quad bike he was riding overturned on a property in East Gippsland.

In another incident, a man in his fifties died after a load of steel fell on him from a forklift and crushed him in South Gippsland.

The third incident happened in Mornington Peninsula when a man in his sixties suffered head injuries after falling 4 metres at a construction site at Merricks North. The man was painting at the time.

Sadly these incidents prove that safety isn’t always the main priority, especially when we consider that all these risks were well known, yet nothing was done to negate them.

Marnie Williams, WorkSafe’s Executive Director of Health and Safety said these incidents prove that appropriate systems that should be place to ensure risks are reduced or eliminated are being neglected.

Find out more http://content.safetyculture.com.au/news/index.php/02/two-men-died-another-suffer-critical-injuries-workplace-incidents-weekend/#.WL0-Cn9WXqV